Adzuki Bean and Pumpkin Stew
This recipe can be used as a wholefood medicine to help balance the spleen meridian. When the spleen meridian is out of balance we can feel low in energy. You feel like you need that sugar or coffee hit in the afternoon or you can’t make it through the day. As a general rule, sugar cravings get much stronger.
You will need
• 1 cup adzuki beans (soaked overnight and discard the water)
• 2 cups of chopped pumpkin
• 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
• 1 stick celery, chopped
• 1 strip kombu seaweed or favourite sea vegetable (washed)
• Sea salt (or tamari or miso)
Cover beans with water and add kombu. Allow to simmer.
Don’t add salt until the beans are chewable (20mins).
At the same time sauté the pumpkin with oil and a pinch of salt.
Add the beans to the pumpkin and the celery. Cover with water, salt to taste and simmer on a low heat for a further 30mins.
Serve with brown rice for best digestion.
Have 1 cup per day, as an entrée with dinner, until finished.